Local News

Police Encourage Fishermen to remain in communication at sea amid U.S. Military activities 

18 February 2026
This content originally appeared on One News SVG.
image
An image of the remnants of a marine vessel in St. Lucia which was pulled ashore. The vessel was thought to be impacted by a deadly kinetic strike carried out in Caribbean waters on February 13, by the U.S. Military.

By Admin. Updated 2:13 p.m., Wednesday, February 18, 2026, Atlantic Standard Time (GMT-4). 

Police in St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) have encouraged local fishermen and seafarers to “continue their normal operations and to remain in communication while at sea” amid U.S. Military operations.

In a February 18 press release, the Royal St. Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force – RSVGPF, says through its SVG Coast Guard Service, it remains present and alert within our maritime space.

“Fishermen and seafarers are encouraged to continue their normal operations and to remain in communication while at sea. Any debris, unusual sightings, or unexplained activity should be reported immediately,” police said.

The statement in relation to the U.S. operations on February 13 is the first official statement from authorities in St. Vincent and the Grenadines on the matter. Members of Cabinet have yet to address the issue, publicly.

On February 13, the U.S. Southern Command reported that, “at the direction of the commander of U.S. Southern Command, Gen. Francis L. Donovan, Joint Task Force Southern Spear conducted a lethal kinetic strike on a vessel operated by Designated Terrorist Organizations.”

“Intelligence confirmed the vessel was transiting along known narco-trafficking routes in the Caribbean and was engaged in narco-trafficking operations. Three narco-terrorists were killed during this action. No U.S. military forces were harmed,” the Southern Command reported on its official website.

Wreckage was found in waters between St. Vincent and St. Lucia, but reports from St. Lucian media are that the vessel found in St. Lucia killed two people and is likely different from another vessel reportedly struck miles east of Canouan in the Southern Grenadines where three people were said to be killed.

St. Lucia’s Prime Minister neither confirmed nor denied whether the dead were St. Lucians saying no official information had been communicated to him at the time.

The development has created unease among fishermen in St. Vincent and the Grenadines and St. Lucia, some who say they are in danger for their lives while fishing for a living.

It has also drawn sharp criticisms in some circles about whether the U.S. actions are too arbitrary, striking vessels and killing people without charges or trial.

In its February 18, release, the Royal Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force said it is aware of the concern among fishermen, mariners, and the wider public following reports of recent military activity in waters near Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and the discovery of wreckage in the surrounding region. For many Vincentians, the sea is a livelihood and routine, and any uncertainty there is felt deeply.

“Information released by U.S. Southern Command indicates that on February 13, an operation was conducted against a vessel believed to have been involved in organised narco-trafficking. The information received so far suggests that this was a targeted, intelligence-led operation and not directed at fishing vessels or ordinary maritime activity.”

“The safety of our mariners and coastal communities remains a priority, and the RSVGPF will continue to act as necessary to safeguard our people and our waters,” police said in the release.

CARICOM Heads will meet in St. Kitts for the 50th Meeting of the Heads of Government from February 24 to 27, and the issue is expected to be raised.

END